I have now started to make a few of my drawings into cards to test out some ideas for my final cards. The card below with the sweet peas and the card with the poppies on are for my sympathy collection and use foam pads to create a 3D effect. The other card is for my congratulations collection, the cards in this collection will be pop up cards featuring my floral drawings. I've also been cutting cats and dogs out of lino this week to create some prints for my birthday collection.
This past week I have been drawing and painting flowers for my congratulations and sympathy cards. The drawings at the top of this post are painted with watercolour and the bottom pictures are coloured with pencils. Next they will be developed into cards and wrapping paper designs.
I'm now a week into a new project at uni, we are working with Ling Design who have set us a brief to create cards, wrapping paper and tags. There were several occasions and themes to choose from, I chose Birthday, Congratulations and Sympathy as the occasions I will create my collections for. I am currently in the research and drawing stage of the project. For the Birthday collection I am drawing cats and dogs, for the Congratulations and sympathy collections I am drawing flowers, with the addition of butterflies for Congratulations. Below are a few photos of some of my drawings of cats and dogs which will be developed further and eventually form my designs.
Yesterday I completed my developing a specialism project which I have been working on for the past few weeks. Below are photos of my work organised on my desk ready for marking, pinned up are my four final samples plus one of my initial samples in the middle. The rest of my samples along with sketchbooks, inspiration boards and contextual visualisations are on my desk. We also had to hand in our summer projects which is displayed on the left side of my desk.
This week I have been making my final samples, there will be four developed from my initial samples. The first is diamond smocking with a bead stitched at each point, fabric yo-yos and small pieces of fabric stitched on top. The next is pintucks sewn in both directions with Irish machine embroidery and layers of fabric sewn at the top. It also has folded fabric triangles in one corner and stained balsa wood diamonds. The third sample is draped knife pleats and quarter folded fabric circles sewn in lines with laser cut shapes. It is not pictured here as it is pinned on my wall at uni and I forgot to photograph it in the week. The final sample is in the process of being made, it has a base of pintucks which were clipped and then washed and spin dried to enhance the texture and fray the raw edges. It will then have pyramids stitched on top formed from fabric triangles as in the test sample below.
Once all my samples are complete I will draw my contextual visualisations. These will show how my samples could be made into garments as I am creating samples for fashion.